As recently revealed on the “My Business” website, the NSW Premier, Ms Gladys Berejiklian, has announced a $250 million jobs program directly aimed at attracting both domestic and international businesses to relocate their head office operations into NSW, or to expand their overall employment footprint within the state.
The Jobs Plus Program
As part of the 2020 – 2021 NSW state budget, the Jobs Plus Program plans to create or to support up to 25,000 jobs by June 2022. It will commence from December 15th 2020 and will run until its conclusion on June 30th 2022.
“The challenges NSW has faced as a result of the triple crisis of drought, bushfires and COVID-19 have given us an opportunity to change our approach and to refocus upon creating jobs for the future, “Ms Berejiklian explained.
“NSW is the nation’s economic powerhouse and the Jobs Plus Program will entice top-performing companies from interstate and from across the globe, cementing NSW as the best place to do business in Australia.”
What does it entail?
Under the Jobs Plus Program specific support will be provided by the NSW government, to businesses which are able to create at least 30 new net jobs:
- Payroll tax relief, up to a four-year period, for every new job created where a business has created 30 new net jobs
- Assistance with the NSW planning system; fast-tracked planning approval pathways and advice plus guidance on site selection appropriate to increasing speed to market.
- Partnering to develop subsidised training programs as may be required to build specialised skills aimed at sustaining these new jobs into the future. This includes funding to develop and to deliver bespoke skills programs which may then be assessed by the wider NSW community.
- Providing enabling infrastructure, such as building local roads, facilitating access to utilities and establishing future-proofed digital infrastructure.
- Access to a one-stop-shop “Jobs Plus Concierge Service” within government; a service designed to assist businesses to efficiently navigate and to access relevant government agencies and programs.
- Access to free government spaces and accommodation.